Tuesday, July 20, 2010

About grass being greener on the other side. Those of you who know me know my great aggravation with a few of the people in Boston and its culture. The pace is way too fast, some people mow you down, etc. In recent years, what I have found out is that the vast majority of people in Boston are in fact nice (and yes, I was born and raised here), but its that arrogant 0.5% who bother the lights out of me.

Now how can 0.5% even be significant? Picture a city of 600,000 residents and a greater metropolitan area of 4,000,000. Lets say that in a given hour downtown that you come across, oh say 1,000 people. That would mean that out of 1,000 people, 5 of them are annoying. Ok, this may be a little high actually, but it only takes one of them to interrupt my peaceful serenity of life and Boston is beautiful.


So my point? A couple of weeks ago my pastor preached about what puts you into combative mode, that is where you lost your patients you are now impatient with people, etc. I said to myself, I never lose my patience, this has nothing to do with me! Then that very week I realized just how impatient I am!

So, back to my comment about the grass being greener on the other side. I decided that while you take yourself with you, that there is indeed a such thing as a geographical cure. Now sure, there will be annoyances in everyplace that you live. But the ones that annoy me the very most do not exist in a lot of other big cities sans New York City.

Just about everytime when I go on vacation, I am often more relaxed. Now my favorite city to go to? San Francisco. Now true, that is as a visitor and not as a resident. I am sure that the city has its own issues also, but there just seems something alluring about the place.

Anyway, I also read a lot of books on traveling, Frommers is my favorite. Back to Boston, I decided to see what a Frommers book might say about my fair city. I found a couple of things that I forgot about and other things that Bostonians never even think about.

To relax my mind a little bit, I am gonna try to do a couple of those things recommended in the Frommers book about Boston. That is when I get back into working again. More on that in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment